MaximaMan527

Marshmallows for trout

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 pm

Hello Baitsoaker forum!

I was wondering if anyone here still uses mini marshmallows for trout. I've tried them a couple times but still have yet to catch anything. However, I still have faith that the marshmallows work, just that I'm doing something wrong. I was wondering how everyone else uses them and if there's some grey hair tips to share. Here's one I'll share:

When using a treble hook (size 14 or smaller) to hook the marshmallow you would think pushing it on the hook like a powerbait nugget would work. Until you see the marshmallow either fly off or float back from Davey's Locker where you threw it. The reason for this is the design of the bait presentation.

Because a treble hook has three prongs, when you push a marshmallow up a hook you end up creating 3 holes in the marshmallow along with the main on from the shank of the hook making a total of 4 holes in a already fragile bait.

The solution is to use a sewing needle or wire to thread the leader through the marshmallow, making only one hole. Then snug the three prongs into the marshmallow or add a few salmon eggs to make a wormless-Shasta Fly(no, I'm not that old. I just read about it in other forums and from Ron Kovach's book Trout Fishing in California). I found this to be the most secure way to rig a marshmallow. However, if anyone has another way to do it, please share.
Click Here to Upload Photos
20200103_203310.jpg
20200103_203310.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 125 times

MaximaMan527

Re: Marshmallows for trout

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Here's a couple extra pictures to help.
20200103_203438.jpg
20200103_203438.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 123 times

MaximaMan527

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 pm

Here's the Shasta fly
20200103_203940.jpg
20200103_203940.jpg (4.79 MiB) Viewed 123 times

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Hey,
That's pretty cool.

I stopped using treble hooks a long time ago, like maybe fifteen years ago. I just thought they weigh too much and can be a pain to deal with for baiting and removing from fish.

I almost always use dry fly hooks, which are thinner, for catching trout. I have never had one straighten out on me and some of those hooks I use are extra thin.

Cool thing about dry fly hooks is you can get some with a wide gape, which means the point of the hook and the back where it bends has extra space between them. That helps to expose the hook point when you embed it in your bait, whether it's live bait, a worm or a marshmallow.

The part about weighing too much as to do with presentation of the bait. The way something falls through the water column can either turn the fish on or turn the fish off.

People say to use a thin line because fish will see it. But I don't believe that's the reason why thinner lines catch more fish. I think it's because the line affects how the bait falls.

For example, fluorocarbon has a higher density so it tends to sink better than mono which wants to float. Once mono starts floating (and the thicker the line the more it will want to float), then it'll start creating drag and pull the bait in an unnatural manner.

Fluorocarbon on the other hand will in my opinion be more cooperative and want to sink and not create the same kind of drag that mono does.

Fly fisherman know about how drag in the line will kill the presentation and scare fish. You want the bait to flow in a natural way in running water like a stream or river and in a lake to gently float down in a natural manner.

I don't know exactly what fish are keying in on, but presentation and avoiding drag is a well known key to catching trout.

MaximaMan527

Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:31 am

Hey Baitsoaker!

Yeah, I've been meaning to tryout some dry fly hooks as a substitute for my regular bait holders and trebles. It seems that on average fly hooks have a higher strength/sharpness to weight ratio than normal hooks. Plus, as you were saying the enlarged hook gap really can come in handy for bait presentation. I just use trebles because they're usually cheaper and I usually fish to keep stocker trout so I don't mind leaving the hooks in until I gut the fish.

I also need to try fluorocarbon again. My first experiences with it were less than favorable. The line held too much memory and frayed easily. Next time I'll try some Seaguar blue label since many people seem to favor it over other brands(sure is expensive tho, but hey quality over quantity). I normally stick with Maxima ultragreen because it's given me reliable service especially when under 6lb test. Branching out my arsenal of fishing gear may especially help at most of the lakes I fish since they're heavily pressured, sometimes shoulder to shoulder like Pacifica pier.

Thank you for your wonderful articles, I can't wait for the next one!

MaximaMan527

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 am

Hey, you're welcome!

Pacifica pier? I used to fish there in the early 1980's! It's a whole different experience!

You're going to like my saltwater articles! :D

Have you ever used P-Line Floroclear? It's a hybrid line that has about the same transparency as fluorocarbon, is supple and highly reliable. For freshwater it's all I use for leader material and it's modestly priced. I always have 2#, 4# and 6# spools in my tackle bag when I go to the lake.

This season I'm doing a test and spooling up with Berkley X5 Braid in 15 lb test, which is almost the same diameter as 2# test mono and smaller than 4# test mono. I want to see how it performs for distance casting 1/4 oz to 3/4 ounce lures in the salt. Will test it in the freshwater too.

MaximaMan527

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Yeah, I used pline floroclear a while back, but had problems with keeping a good knot on it. Though I've practiced a few new knots that are said to work especially well with fluorocarbon lines so I'll give it another go.

Can't wait to hear about your experience with the braided line. Seems that it's all the rage these days especially with bass anglers. I did read once that it sticks out in the water so people have a "running leader" of 10 ft of their favorite line down to their lure or bait. If the fish seem extra wary, maybe that will help.

MaximaMan527

Return to “Trout Fishing Forum”