MittenMan
Angler

Do You Like To Use Snaps?

Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 am

Does anyone else besides me use snaps with spoons, Kastmasters, and stick baits? If so what brand and size do you prefer?
Kind Regards,
Bill :P

MtnFisher
Angler

Re: Do You Like To Use Snaps?

Thu May 10, 2018 9:37 pm

I use various brands of snaps for stickbaits and spoons. I use a SPro or Redwing micro swivel with a fluorocarbon leader above the snap.

Eagle claw, VMC and SPro make great snaps.

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Fri May 11, 2018 12:42 am

Wow, really good suggestions! :)

VMC and Spro are top quality brands. Mustad and Eagle Claw make good swivels, too. The smallest you can get away with the better.

MtnFisher
Angler

Sun May 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Another good reason for using snaps is when using wiggle type lures such as stick baits is they won't wear on your line unlike using a loop knot at the lure connection.

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm

I know it can be a pain, but I like to put a barrel swivel at the end of my fishing line. On the other end of the swivel I'll tie a 12 inch section of fishing line with a snap at the end. That's called the leader.

This helps prevent line twist from spinner lures and spoons.

I especially do this with reels spooled with braided line. This conserves your main line that's on your spool. If you need to cut off line and retie, you just cut the leader, not the main line. Braided line is so expensive, this just makes sense to do. :)

BruceMP

Do You Like To Use Snaps

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I like to tie the Elk Hair Caddis, I fish the heck out of it too. Really easy to tie

I like to use soft hackle.

BaitSoaker
Site Admin

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 am

Elk Hair Caddis is a great fly, it imitates a wide range of insects.

Soft hackle flies are one of my favorite kinds of fishing fly. They are a classic sub-surface fly that imitates different stages of nymphs. The history of it goes all the way back to England.

Any pics you'd like to share? I would love to see some of the flies you tie. ;)

Return to “Trout Fishing Forum”